Reminder: While we attempt to bring you the latest and most important Superior and Jewell County News every week on this website, the only way to ensure you receive it all is by subscribing to the publication! Please call our office at (402) 879-3291 or 1-800-359-2120 to receive this paper by mail. It's cheap and easy to subscribe- why not get this news delivered direct to your doorstep every week?
Superior Council passes emergency ordinances
At the request of the Superior Police Department members of
the Superior City Council invoked the emergency provisions, despenced
with the three reading rule, declared an emergency and adopted
two ordinances. The first makes it illegal to enter a motor vehicle
without the owner's authorization. The second ordinance makes
it illegal to loiter, trespassing or window peek on private property.
Both ordinances are printed in this issue of The Express.
The majority of the council meeting was devoted to discussing the results of a public nuisance survey of 118 properties in East Superior. Of those surveyed 24 were declared to be in violation of city ordinances. Earlier the property owners were given a courtsey letter but now the 24 identified will be given 30 days to comply with the rules or more severe measures will be taken.
The council accepted Rita Ordich's resignation effective the last of June. She has worked 27 years in the utility office.
Brian Bargen's application to join the Superior Volunteer Fire Department was accepted.
The council entered into a planning agreement with an electrical service provider for the possible construction of a one megawatt solar farm located on city property near the current wastewater treatment plant.
To return to the top of the page and choose another story, click here.
services planned for Monday
It is easy to let alumni reunions and a festival honoring Lady Vestey and the founders of Superior overshadow the importance of the coming weekend. A time originally set aside to honor our nation's veterans.
Over the years, the day grew to include events honoring deceased family members and friends. Many former residents return each Memorial Day to decorate the graves of their departed loved ones and it was only natural that alumni groups decided this would be a good time to hold reunions. From that, the festival planners decided to take advantage of the thousands of people annually visiting the area and also scheduled festival activities for the weekend.
But in spite of all the commotion, the focus for Monday, Memorial Day, has remained. Special services are being planned in nearly every community.
The events change little from year to year.
Ruskin, for example, features a dinner and afternoon service at Spring Creek Cemetery. At Hardy the observance starts in the community hall and moves to the cemetery. Here in Superior, the service starts at 10 a.m. in the east cemetery and moves to the west cemetery.
At Nelson the veterans provide services at the Nelson cemetery, the monument downtown and at the Nora cemetery.
A similar service is held at Lawrence.
The Guide Rock community plans a cemetery service.
Cemeteries will be a blaze of flags and flowers.
While we had a warm winter and many people feared the peony plants, would bloom ahead of schedule, the cooler weather of recent days has slowed the development of the plants and it appears our cemeteries will again filled with the colorful peony blooms. Many were set out decades ago by family members who are now resting in the cemeteries.
To return to the top of the page and choose another story, click here.
line street near City Park
This week, along with visiting the Nuckolls County Museum and attending the Civil War Band concert in City Park, festival planners suggest also taking a quick walking tour to see the nearby historical homes. Some of the homes can even be seen from the park.
Festival attendees interested in seeing Superior's more interesting homes from the Victorian area and homes which played an important part in the community's development have several options.
At 9 a.m. Saturday a festival committee will lead a walking tour of the district. The guided tour will depart from the City Park Band Shell. Comfortable walking shoes are suggested.
For those wanting a more comprehensive tour, The Superior Chamber of Commerce has available printed tour maps which were developed in the first years of the festival. Those tours are probably two or more miles in length and will take participants to the outskirts of town to see things like the Brodstone family graves in Evergreen Cemetery and the Lady Vestey Bird Sanctuary in Lincoln Park. Both tours start and end at the Vestey Center. The guides include pictures of the featured structures and a bit of narrative describing each. As they were prepared about 20 years ago, an interesting sidelight is noting the changes that have occurred since then.
If time is not a matter of concern, it is suggested visitors walk the routes so they can more leisurely examine the unique features, experience the community close-up and have opportunities to visit with residents along the way. However, tour participants are asked to stay on the public streets and sidewalks and not trespass onto private property. The tour routes may also be travelled by bicycle or automobile.
Two homes will be open for tours this year. The Price Funeral Home at 750 Commercial will be open from 1 to 4 Sunday afternoon. The Larry and Jodi Lunzer home at Ninth and Idaho will be open from 1 to 4 Saturday afternoon. If there is sufficient interest the home will also be open Sunday afternoon.
For those visiting City Park and wanting to explore the nearby historical district, it is suggested visitors take a leisurely stroll north along Highway 14.
From the City Park Bandstand, the first house on the left (609 Bloom) was built by Edward Lawrence. He purchased the two lots directly west of City Park in 1900 and constructed the four-bedroom Queen Anne Victorian residence that is located on the site today. Little is known about Edward but it appears he was a cigar maker. The home was trimmed with maple woodwork and included on the first floor a kitchen, bedroom, dining room, living room, music room and large bathroom. There were three bedrooms on the top floor. At a time when many home designs did not include closets, this home featured walk-in closets for each bedroom. The closets did not have the rods we know today. Instead the walls had only hooks.
The basement was divided into three rooms. A fruit room with no windows. The furnace room which had an outside entrance and a coal bin, and the laundry room which featured windows and a below the floor sump into which the laundry water was drained. There was also a cesspool to the west of the house with a heavy concrete lid and a cast concrete bird bath in the yard.
The laundry room used old bridle bits embedded in the concrete walls as hangers for the clothes lines that provided indoor drying space on laundry day. The basement could be accessed by a stairway from the dining room.
The dining room featured a built-in hutch which served to store dishes for both the kitchen and the dining room, a serving pass-through and linen storage drawers which could be opened either from the kitchen or dining room. The iceman could fill the ice box from a porch at the northwest corner of the house without entering the kitchen.
The home's yard still has a ring in the sidewalk in case a visitor should need to tie up a horse.
In 1908 the house was sold to Elmer and Cassie Donahoo. Both had settled in Jewell County in the 1870s and moved to Superior in what they expected to be their retirement years. However, Elmer, who was born in 1858, continued to work as a cattle buyer until 1942 when he was 85 years of age.
The house was sold to a William and Grace Wrench in 1938. The Wrenches made few interior changes, however, they did construct a two-car garage accessed off Dakota Street. It was one of the first garages at a Superior residence to feature overhead doors.
In 1976 the Wrench estate sold the home to Mr. and Mrs. Pat Avey. It was during the Aveys' years there that the house was home to its first baby.
The Aveys sold the house to Steve and Winona Henk who owned and operated Superior Cleaners. In addition, the Henks were agents for the Omaha World-Herald and many residents of the time vividly remember the Henks' white van traveling up and down the streets delivering newspapers with Steve driving and Winona throwing papers out of the open cargo door.
After being a plain white house with green window trim, the Henks decked it out with a colorful paint scheme.
Next the house became the home of Mark Ellis and his family. Mark was a Brodstone Memorial Hospital administrator. He redecorated the home's interior and exterior and replaced the two-car garage with a much larger 3-car garage.
After the Ellis family left, the house was vacant for several months. During the vacancy, the pipes which served the hotwater heat system broke and the house was flooded from top to bottom.
Gale Mikkelsen, a local real estate agent, bought the home and basically gutted the interior. He installed a new heating and air conditioning system and a bathroom on the top floor. Later Trina, Gales' daughter bought it and then Tami, his niece bought it. The current owner is Terri Albers who is employed at Brodstone Memorial Hospital.
Continuing up the street to 514 East Seventh stands a majestic looking home with a beautiful fountain in the front lawn.
The house was home for one of early Superior's most prominent families. Clair and Abbie Adams had the house built in 1886 and named it the Cedars in recognition of the twin rows of trees lining the front walk.
It is hard to believe the magnificent home was in a state of disrepair. In 1991 it was on the market for only $8,000. Some saw it as a money pit and did not want to buy it.
Gale and Marie Mikkelsen bought the property in 1992 and began what has been a decades long restoration process. The Mikkelsens changed the upstairs bedrooms into a master bedroom with full bathroom. They also updated and remodeled the three remaining bedrooms with a full bathroom in the hallway. After making these major renovations, the Mikkelsens sold the house to Mike and Anne Moody. The Moodys added a tin ceiling to the kitchen and planted more than 100 rose bushes but made no major changes to the home before taking a job in another town. The Mikkelsens bought the house again and resumed making changes to the interior of the home. For a time it was operated as a bed and breakfast.
A year after Marie's death, Gale put the house up for sale. In 2012, it sold to Lance and Sharon Jesse. The Jesse family came from the Sandhills area of Nebraska. They brought in a house mover and had the structure lifted up and placed on cribbing while a new basement was constructed. After the basement was rebuilt and soffits repaired, the arduous task of landscaping the front lawn began. Not long after the fountain was finished, the Jesse family moved out of town.
The house recently sold again, this time to Bruce and Myrna Estes of Bend, Oregon.
Across the street to the west is the home of Helen and Wilfred Miller. It is the only home in Superior located on the National Register of Historic Places. Known as the W. W. Kendall House, this green and white Queen Anne Shingle Victorian Home at 412 East Seventh Street was built by Wallace Kendall in 1889. The house was prefabricated and shipped to Superior in a railroad boxcar.
In 1885 Kendall deeded the lot to his wife-to-be, Miss Lillie Bradshaw, daughter of Superior's medical doctor. Kendall was Superior's first druggist. In 1890 he built a frame building at 325 Central.
On June 22, 1909, the house was sold to Frank Bossemeyer, a partner in the Bossemeyer grain company. His family occupied the house for the next 35 years, The current owners have carefully restored the home. Much of the original woodwork, beams and wallpaper are intact. Another feature is the 30-foot by 40 foot ballroom with raised stage on the third floor.
Located on the property is Willie's Chapel, completed in 1995. It is built in the same size as the "World's Littlest Church" in Festina, Iowa. Everything is authentic and is from historical buildings throughout the area that have been torn down. The steeple is dated 1898 and is from the Presbyterian Church in Nelson. The bell is from the old Mt. Clare High School. The front window is from the Nelson Methodist Church. The pews are from the Baptist church at Alexandria. The pump organ was salvaged from a Catholic church. The front door was salvaged from the Lincoln Park's caretaker's home. The chapel has been dedicated by the Lincoln Catholic Diocese and named The Historical Chapel of St. Michael the Archangel.
Three houses of historical significance are located at the intersection of Eighth and Bloom Streets and to make matters more confusing Bloom Street morphs into Idaho Street at this point.
At 753 Bloom, is a large white bungalo-style house that was built in 1914 by Cyrus Harvey, In 1921, Joseph Weir, a rancher and banker purchased the house. Mr. Weir was president of the State Bank of Superior through which the ownership passed to George Aldrich, son of a former Nebraska governor and the bank's cashier. On July 21, 1924, Evelene Brodstone (the Lady Vestey) purchased the house for her mother. Mrs. Brodstone found climbing the long flight of stairs to their downtown apartment more difficult. However, she died before moving into the house. Evelene married William Baron Vestey on Aug. 1, 1924, and the house became a rental.
At 807 Idaho Street is the small Victorian residence built in 1901 by C. E. and Hallie Dedrick, founders of The Superior Express newspaper. The house recently sold and will soon have new occupants.
Across the street to the east is the white Mediterranean style house with the red tile roof that was built by Ernest Bossemeyer Jr. in 1911. He saw and admired this style of house on a trip to southern California. The design was by a Los Angeles builder, Ye Planry who later copied the style for his own home.
A member of the Bossemeyer Brothers Grain Company, Ernest, at age 18, arrived in Superior with his parents in 1886, A prominent citizen, Ernest Sr. operated the East Side Grocery. After working two years for his father, Ernest established a feed store, at the time it was Superior's only feed store. A year later, brother Frank invested his savings and the two built the community's first elevator, a small structure at 317 Commercial Avenue (that building currently utilized by the Superior Publishing Company). The company grew rapidly. Soon the Bossemeyers operated elevators in several communities and sold Double B brand feed manufactured in Superior throughout Nebraska.
Ernest was particular about the materials used in the construction of his house. He wrote many letters to suppliers inquiring about the quality of materials. A feature of the house was an atrium with a stained glass ceiling under a skylight over a sunken tile floor with a planter in the center. Upon his death in 1939, the house was sold to John Mullet who converted it for use as a funeral home. In 1968, the Mullet family sold the business to the Williams family.
Just north of the funeral home, at 856 Idaho, is the Johnson House. It was built in 1884 by Joseph Johnson, the operator of a general merchandise store at Third and Central. The house passed to his son, H. Clyde Johnson, in August of 1906. Clyde and his wife, the former Maggie Guthrie, were half of Evelene Brodstone's "Quartette. Maggie's sister, Ella, and her husband, Claude Shaw, formed the other half. The "Quartette" were guests of The Lady Vestey for the coronation of Edward VII. They stayed in her London home, Kingswood. The Lady Vestey visited them frequently until 1935 when hostilities in Europe made it difficult for her to come to America. The house and the downtown store building which housed the Johnston store are now both owned by Frank and Dee Krotzinger.
Across the street to the northwest is the two-story Victorian farm house currently owned by Larry and Jody Lunzer at 909 Idaho Street. It was built by Charles and Louise McGregor in 1909. It still has its wrap-around porch but some of the Victorian decoration has been removed. Subsequent owners have been in 1918, William Charles and Maude Henderson, 1920, Peter and Anna Nelson; 1930, Nettie Nelson; 1939, Floyd and Blanche Dixon; 1945, Reece and Mildred Bishop; 1946, Lester and Pauline Schwass; and in 1988, Michael and Carol Oglevie.
In 1935 Emmet and Bernice Sheets rented the house. At the time, the Champlin Refining Company was building a petroleum tank farm at the east edge of Superior and Stan Sheets, a current resident of Superior, remembers the riveting sometimes interrupted his sleep and he peered from open east bedroom windows at the lights of the crew working around the clock. Summer in those days without air conditioning meant sleeping with all windows open.
Superior was the second stop on the Champlin pipeline which extended from Enid, Oklahoma, to Rock Rapids, Iowa. It was the first pipeline in the nation to carry both gasoline and kerosene and was extended to Superior because of the markets the railroad serving the community would open to the company, but that is the topic of another story to be told at a future date.
As the Lunzers employer has transferred them to Broken Bow, they would like to sell the house. A friend will have it open for tours starting at 1 p.m. Saturday. If sufficient interest is shown, it will also be open on Sunday afternoon.
While we will not detail the stories about the houses at this time, go a block east or west of the Lunzer home and there are more houses of historical significance to the development of Superior. Information about those houses may be obtained from tour guides available at the Chamber of Commerce office.
But before we leave this story, there is one more house we should write about for it will be open for tours on Sunday afternoon. That house at 750 Commercial, is just two and a half blocks west of Bloom Street and currently houses the Price Funeral Home.
The first house was built there in 1883 by Sarah Adams, the widowed mother of C.E. Adams, the builder of a large home at Seventh and Bloom. She lived there until October of 1893 when the house was sold to James H. Morrison. He removed the smaller Adams house and built the large two-story Victorian residence that is there today.
This house remained in the Morrison family until 1934 when it was sold to Viola G. and John G. "Ned" Preston. In 1938 the house was sold to Clarence R. and Mildred Zulauf who converted it for use as a funeral home, with their living quarters on the main floor plus a bedroom upstairs. They added a large garage to the rear or east side for the hearse and other equipment.
The structure has served as a funeral home since 1938 and has been remodeled and expanded several times in subsequent years.
Not much is known about the Morrisons. Some believe he was active in the liquor business but he apparently kept an unusually low profile for a businessmen who lived in such a grand house.
"The First 100 Years, a reference history of Superior, has only three entries attributed to Morrison and those contain but scant information. Probably if we could look below the floor boards we might find an interesting story about the life and doings of Mr. Morrison.
The Price Funeral Home will be open for tours from 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday. John Price Jr., the current manager of the funeral home, has been actively researching the home's history and hopes to have more information available Sunday.
To return to the top of the page and choose another story, click here.
plan reunions for this weekend
The Superior High School Alumni Association will be meeting Saturday evening at Superior High School. Members of the classes ending in 7 will be honored.
A number of alumni associations representing other area schools are also meeting this week.
The Nelson Alumni Association is meeting Saturday at the Nelson City Auditorium
The Hardy Alumni will be meeting in the community hall Saturday. Harold Sweet is association president, Marcia Schultz is vice president and Margene Eitzmann the secretary-treasurer. The classes of 1947, 1957 and 1967 will be honored.
Members of the Class of 1967 included Kenneth Edwards, Jesse Jensen, Roger Petersen, Rodney Simonsen, Glenda Pedersen Holmberg, Barbara Bargen Parrott, Joyce Hill Cox, Charlene Newell Robinson and Charlotte Newell Persson.
Members of the Class of 1957 included Burley Copas, Bonnie Copas Eckles, Jerry Hancock, Merwin Jensen, Julie Pedersen Persinger and Gerald Persinger. Of the Class of 1947 only Virginia Stenson Lewis, Lars Pedersen and Kenny Jensby are still living. Deceased members include Edward Gunn, Lee Roy Hansen, Lloyd Olsen, Virgil Petersen, Delbert Roper, Leon Simonsen, Sheridan Lane, Sharon Murphy Petersen, Wilma Washington Cappel and Ruth Workman Hobson.
Members of the Superior High School honored Class of 1967 included Lee Alexander, Stephanie Alexander, Diane Ball, Charles Bennett, Danny Besthorn, Rick Carpenter, Dan Chambers, Bonnie Diehl, Mary Diehl, Steve Diehl, Arleeta Doehring, Jeanette Frear, Dwight Hansen, Jane Hansen, Norman Hayes, Val Heim, Carol Hobbie, Jean Hornbussel, Lyn Hoskins, John Hughes, Mary Intermill, Reedilee Jantz, Mike Jensen, Lois Kohl, Bruce Kronberg, Jim Linn, Larry Maley, Judy Marr, Robert McCammon, Randy McCutcheon, John McNabb, Sam Mohler, Earl Mucklow, Janet Mundy, Monte Nielson, June Noble, Radona Peterson, Nancy Pettigrew, Dennis Quy, Pat Rathun, Pat Ridle, Lyle Roe, Pat Rogers, Jill Schmanski, Charles Shellhase, Nathan Stineman, Tom Stubbs, Pam Thomson, David Tremain, Don Tremain, Tom Tumbleson, Vicki Upton, Shirley Vale, Roslyn Wages, Leslie Warneking, Marie Wharton, Mickey White, Richard Wilcox, Penny Willett and James Woerner.
Tuesday night, May 23, 1967, the class of 60 graduated from Superior High School. The commencement speakers were six members of the class, Vicki Upton, Patricia Ridle, Bruce Kronberg, Randy McCutcheon Jane Hansen and John McNabb.
The processional was played by Pam Upton. The invocation and benediction was given by the Rev. Robert Leege, pastor of Centennial Lutheran Church. There were two triple trio numbers and a clarinet solo. Principal Raymond Richards presented the scholarships and Supt. James Warren presented the class to the board of educatons. Diplomas were presented by Ormond Norgaard, president of the board.
Baccalaueate services were also held at the high school on Sunday evening. The Rev. R. W. Caskey pastor of the Reformed Presbyerain Church gave the sermon. Senior night was Monday.
Twenty-one seniors received their diplomas the same night at Nelson. Commencemenr speaker was Howard Eckel of the University of Nebrska. The Rev. Peter Vanderveen gave the baccalaureate sermon.
Jo Ann Bown was the valdictorian and David Wehrman the salutitorian. Other members of the class were James Chapman, Joyce Christensen, Stephen Disney, Mary Ann Drudik, David Griffith, Nancy Grueber, Terry Grueber, Ruth Hespen, Janet Imler, Lorrie Keiser, Dorrel Lipker, Terry Madson, Trudy Morehead, Dudley Oltmans, Vicky Peters, Terry Reeve, Paul Statz, Bruce Vires and Carl Watts.
Ten seniors graduated from Republic High School at 8 p.m. Thursday, May 25. Valedictorain of the class was Alan Daugharty. Salutatorian was Steven Gunn. Other members of the class were Carolyn Davidson, Harold Fisher, Sally Fuller, Darrell Hanson, David Kussman, James Miller, Kent Swartz and Edwin Van Meer.
The Ruskin Alumni Banquet will be held Sunday. The board considers of Wayne Petersen, preseint, Gale Mikkelsen, vice president, Barry Lipker, secretary and Rhonda Lipker Betten, treasurer. This y ear the honor classes will be those with years ending in 5, 6 or 7.
To return to the top of the page and choose another story, click here.
To see more news, click here.